World Cup Leader Verstappen: A Pity That Honda Will Stop After This Year

News, Sports Comments Off

Formula 1 driver Max Verstappen, the proud leader in the World Cup standings, regrets that engine supplier Honda will stop after this year. “Of course, I think that’s a shame, but I felt that too last year before we had this success.

That remains the same,” the Red Bull leader argues on Verstappen.com. “We’re going to get the best out of it this year together and try to use all the possibilities. Then we’ll see where we end up. But of course, it is a pity.”

Verstappen aims for his fourth win of the season at the Styrian Grand Prix on the Red Bull Ring on Sunday. He already knows what it feels like to win on the Austrian circuit. In 2018 and 2019, he was the first to cross the finish line in Spielberg. Verstappen does not mean that his Red Bull is better at this track than the Mercedes of world champion Lewis Hamilton. “I find that difficult to estimate. I think the training will show what that looks like. Every year is different anyway, if only because the car is different. Time will tell.”

Fans will again be present at the race weekend in Austria, but still to a limited extent. A week later, at the Austrian Grand Prix on the same circuit, the stands with almost 40,000 spectators will be filled again. Verstappen is looking forward to it.

“It’s great for the atmosphere to have fans back here in Austria, which is just great. You see them, and they encourage you during the game, which is great. In terms of performance, it shouldn’t matter to me, of course. All those fans bring positive energy, but it doesn’t change how I go into a race weekend or how I perform.”

Author

Search

Back to Top

Skip to toolbar